|Scissor Tailed Fly Catcatcher, State bird of Oklahoma|
•Flexible Art Mold PJ055 Scissor Tail Flycatcher
•Polymer clay:White & tiny bit of black. (Optional: if a subtle sparkle is desired, mix a marble size piece of Glitter White clay into the 1 inch ball of white clay before molding)
•Water mister for polymer clay release.
•Mica Powder: Magenta, Red, gold & Silver or Argent
•Heavy Body Acrylic Paint: Black
•Brushes for mica powder application •Small Brushes for painting black feathers and details. Tiny brushes for eye, beak and the head stripe.
•Findings for jewelry: Wire cutter, pin back, jump ring
•Bake N Bond or Poly Paste: for pin back. •(Optional Glue ifor pin back)
•Wire: 24 gauge Icy Silver Fun Wire-8 inches
•Favorite clay tools. You never know......
•Varnish recommended by the manufacturer of the clay: Varnish Beak and eye if desired.
•Optional Color application if painting after baking: Metallic Red, gold & black Acrylic paint
•Optional: •Pasta machine for conditioning clay.
|Brushes used for this project.|
PJ055 Scissor Tail Flycatcher mold
- Condition white clay and the tiny bit of black clay until smooth and flexible. Mix the white and tiny bit of black thoroughly to create a soft gray color. (Optional Color: Use four parts white and one part sparkle white clay for a bright, light bird.)
- Make a very small loop in the shorter wire, it will go in the left wing in the mold. The tiny loop will help to hold the wire in place after de-molding. Make a larger loop in the longer wire as shown. Using your pliers, halfway through the loop, bend it upwards in a 90° angle. This will allow the loop to protrude after molding to use as a hanging loop for a pendant.
- As you press the wire into the clay you will notice the clay will begin to bulge up around it. Use a round tool like a Peej Shaper, or paintbrush handle to close the clay over the wirework. Be sure that the upper right loop is not buried completely. Clean up the edges, pulling any clay on the mold back into the mold until a line of separation shows all around the bird.
- When the mica powder colors are completed bake on a soft surface like Fiber-Fil®. Allow to cool.
- Optional: Add a Pin Back if desired. Position the pin back and lightly sand the area where it will go.
- Bake face down in Fiber-fil® so that the uneven back can lay flat. Allow to cool.
The Best Flexible mold PJ055 ScissorTail Flycatcher Bird comes with a step by step instruction sheet. This blog is the exact same sheet with color photos instead of black and white pictures.