Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Poly-Clay Chrysanthemum Pin or Hair Barrette


At Fandango I did a demo of how to make a quick chrysanthemum hair barrette (or pin) using our half circle wire tools from our custom tool kit: Penni Jo's Clay Tools. The project starts with a Skinner blend rolled into a bulls eye cane. Slices in the cane are cut from large to small so that the colors blend from the light outside petals to dark, rich inner petals.

The wire cutters quickly cut petaled circles and the other tools can be used to assemble the cut parts.

Left: Close up view of the tools.  For scale, the longest tool is the second from the top, 4 3/4 inches long.

Top: Peej Shapers, solid stainless steel sculping/jewelry tools.

Next: Peej Picks, solid stainless steel delicate round tools with long tapered point and a chisel end.

Next Half Circle wire tools, stainless wire with wood handles.

Bottom: Peej Scraper, a small, flexible custom shaped scraper for all kinds of uses.

Since I ran out of the tutorials, I am posting a full color jpg below in case you would like to give the technique a try.

Have Fun!
Penni Jo
Designer

 For more information about the Tools and are to purchase, they are available HERE.

3 comments:

Bonnie Kreger at B-LEE KREATIONS said...

This is great, as soon as my foot heals and I can get to my clay table I'm goin to make one. I've given all my friends a set of your wonderful tools for their birthdays. Are you working on any new molds?
How about a dog mold like the cat mold? I'm again, I know. Lol
Thank again.

Bonnie Kreger at B-LEE KREATIONS said...

That was suppose to say I'm a pain. This iPad is really old and has a mind of its own.

Penni Jo AKA Claylady43 said...

Dear Bonnie, Sending good thoughts your way for healing! Once again, I was able to win the auction at the Twister retreat and get your beautiful donation, the cross key chain that was molded in PJ028 mold!! Your work is wonderful and always adds excitement.
Yep, these electronic devices have a mind of their for sure.
Thanks for the Doggy idea but for now, sculpting will begin on an ethnic face mold (I have reference sheets ready) and then some new organic Caboshapes. It's already a busy summer.
Thank you so much for your always kind encouragments.
Penni Jo