Sunday, December 11, 2011

New bezel - Turtle

We have a granddaughter who is of Kiowa and Iroquois descent.

While she was visiting recently we talked about her heritage and then Googled Kiowa and Iroquois 'symbols' in Google Images.

Some Kiowa images were of eagle feathers and stepped patterns. As we talked we made some quick sketches of designs with eagle feathers.

The Iroquois were forest people and their images were filled with forest dwellers, trees and birds. One of the images we liked was a turtle.

With a little playing around we came up with a design that included both peoples. A turtle with the Kiowa eagle feathers and stepped patterns on it's back. See picture above left. At the top is the rough shape of the turtle with a cabochon shell on the sheet of paper on which we drew the original designs.

I made the eagle feather cane right away. She got the first pair of earrings.
The turtle bezel took longer but finally came together yesterday evening.

This first, large turtle
bezel shown will hold a 30 mm by 40 mm standard cabochon. I'm thinking three or four sizes in the mold. I love the idea of a 'scattering' of turtle pins and maybe some tiny turtle earrings.

Right is the bezel with the cabochon removed. The bezel has no texture, details or finishing touches but it should not take long.

Penni Jo


2 comments:

Bonnie Kreger at B-LEE KREATIONS said...

I finally got my comments to work for the blogs. I wanted to tell you I love your feathers but I love all your molds. I just got the cameo but haven't had time to work with it yet. Can't wait.

Thank you for what you do.

Penni Jo AKA Claylady43 said...

Bonnie,

Thank you so very, very much for your encouraging words.

I am inspired by your generous spirit and caring heart.

Penni Jo